Approximately 1,000 volunteers work together to make the Relief Sale run smoothly each year. There’s a job for everyone and we’d love to have you involved!
Apple Butter Boiling
Come out and help us make that delicious apple butter on Saturday, September 17th, 2022! The boil is a full day event from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM so come help when you can! For more information contact Pete McCarthy at 540-470-0373.
Address: 571 Hall School Rd, Waynesboro, VA 22983
Other current volunteer needs:
- Golf cart drivers – 1 or 2 people to assist the food committee in taking products to different booths during the day on Saturday
- Want to help cook the chicken BBQ? Our chef is looking for good help to assist in cooking the BBQ chicken in the BBQ pits at the fairgrounds.
- BBQ chicken wrapping/selling – We are looking for 5-6 people to wrap the BBQ chicken after it is cooked and sell it at the fairgrounds.
- Trash collection group – This group would circulate the fairgrounds periodically to empty trash cans and put trash in the fairground’s trash truck.
- Hot dog and hamburger stand – We are looking for a group to coordinate and run the hot dog and hamburger stand.
- Publicity assistant – Looking for an organized person to help the publicity committee with contacting media outlets. Does not require any graphic design skills.
- Children’s activities coordinator – This person coordinates with various established people to provide some children’s activities during the sale. They publicize events and help make it a fun time for children.
- Bouncy house coordinator – Organize volunteers to supervise the children’s bouncy house. Do NOT need to transport, set up, or take it down.
- Volunteer coordinator for donut making – We are looking for someone to coordinate this in 2022.
- Biscuit maker – This person or group would make 1,200 biscuits for the Saturday morning breakfast. Contact Sandra Rush at 540-478-7602 for more information.
- Catfish – We are in need of someone to take the lead on providing catfish at the Relief Sale in 2023. Desired experience and responsibilities include:
- Have experience with food service.
- Demonstrate ability to enlist up to 20 persons to manage the delivery of food at the sale, either via takeout or sit down.
- Develop a working relationship with Ray Martin, the local frying expert, or find another alternative.
- Become aware of the connections needed to order fish using connections in Mississippi via Levi Lee of Macon, Mississippi.
- Be able to calculate the food cost as well as ALL associated expenses.
- Be able to assist the publicity team in regards to the catfish.
- Be able to do all food prep buying from local ventures, particularly with folks ready to promote the goals of the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale.
Additional help needed:
- Set up on Thursday and Friday (Sept. 29 and 30) starting around 8 am
- Tear down/clean up on Saturday (Oct. 1) beginning late morning
Want to volunteer? Let Dave Rush know by contacting us if you’re available to help with a need above, or if there’s another way you’d like to get involved!