Approximately 1,000 volunteers work together to make the Relief Sale run smoothly each year.
There’s a job for everyone and we’d love to have you involved!
Apple Butter Boiling
Come out and help us make that delicious apple butter on Saturday, September 25th! The boil is a full day event from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM so come help when you can! For more information contact Pete McCarthy at 540-470-0373.
Address: 571 Hall School Rd, Waynesboro, VA 22983
Other current volunteer needs:
- Want to help cook the chicken BBQ? Our master chef is looking for good help to assist in cooking the BBQ chicken in the BBQ pits at the fairgrounds.
- BBQ chicken wrapping/selling – We are looking for 5-6 people to wrap the BBQ chicken after it is cooked and sell it at the fairgrounds.
- Children’s activities coordinator – This person coordinates with various established people to provide some children’s activities during the sale. They publicize events and help make it a fun time for children.
- Bouncy house coordinator – Organize supervision for the children’s bouncy house. Do NOT need to transport, set up, or take it down.
- Volunteer coordinator for donut making – We are looking for someone to coordinate this in 2022.
- Catfish – We are in need of someone to take the lead on providing catfish at the Relief Sale. Desired experience and responsibilities include:
- Have experience with food service.
- Demonstrate ability to enlist up to 20 persons to manage the delivery of food at the sale, either via takeout or sit down.
- Develop a working relationship with Ray Martin, the local frying expert, or find another alternative.
- Become aware of the connections needed to order fish using connections in Mississippi via Levi Lee of Macon, Mississippi.
- Be able to calculate the food cost as well as ALL associated expenses.
- Be able to assist the publicity team in regards to the catfish.
- Be able to do all food prep buying from local ventures, particularly with folks ready to promote the goals of the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale.
Additional help needed:
- Set up help on Thursday and Friday (Sept. 30 and Oct. 1)
- Tear down/clean up help on Saturday (Oct. 2) beginning late morning
Want to volunteer? Let Dave Rush know by contacting us if you’re available to help with a need above, or if there’s another way you’d like to get involved!